Large Community Hall for Hire - Jim Gilbert Hall at Blockhouse Bay Community Centre
Hosted by Blockhouse Bay Community CentreSpacetoCo Host since November 2020 · 5k bookings
A community centre with great spaces that celebrate the many different people and cultures living in and around our diverse and colourful community
About this space
The Centre is proud to offer a place to meet, gather, connect and belong for our local community. We are always open to new ideas, events, activities or groups wishing to start up in the Bay.
The Main hall (Jim Gilbert Room) is a large multipurpose space with a stage area and upstairs mezzanine floor. It has wooden floors, lots of natural daylight and has a large catering kitchen with serving area. The space set up is very flexible. The maximum capacity using both downstairs and mezzanine areas is 260.
This hall has two rates:
Weekly Hall Hire: $30 weekdays until 6pm
Function Hall Hire: Weeknights, weekends and public holidays $100 per hour, maximum price $600.
For kids parties, we offer a $100 discount if your booking ends before 2pm. Please use the code BHBKids.
Please make sure you select the correct Bookable Space when checking prices and availability.
The hall space would be perfect for:
Meetings: large meetings, community events, AGMs, conferences, hustings, networking
Celebrations: weddings, birthdays, parties, anniversaries
Performance & Theatre: Dance, plays, recitals, choirs, rehearsals. The space has great acoustics.
Social & community: Film screenings, quiz nights, talks & presentations, markets & jumble sales, art shows
Included in the space hire is:
- Tables & Chairs
- Heating and fans
- Use of both the main hall and mezzanine seating area
- Use of the kitchen
Available at extra cost:
- Use of the Grand Piano
- Projector & Screen Hire
- Basic Lighting Rig
Catering & Alcohol
You are welcome to self cater or use external caterers in our hall & kitchen space. The kitchen space has a large commercial fridge, large heating racks, grill & oven, microwave, 6 burner gas hob, extractor fan and hot water boiler.
There are two washing up sinks, a dishwasher and a hand washing sink. There are two large serving hatches into the hall.
There are no utensils, pans, crockery, cutlery or glassware provided as part of the hall hire. You or your caterers will need to bring in everything you wish to use to cater your event. The kitchen must be cleaned and left as you found it. Any clean up or prep time must be included in your hireage. All rubbish must be removed.
You may serve but not sell alcohol on our premises. If you wish to sell alcohol, you must procure a licence from Auckland Council and provide proof of this to us.
Using the Hall
You are welcome to decorate the hall, bring in whatever furniture or equipment you need for your event and configure the space how you would like. It’s perfect for weddings and parties, as you can really make the space your own - check out the photos to see ideas. You can use blu-tac or sellotape, but please make sure this is fully removed. No pins or nails please. You must book enough time to decorate and clear down the hall after use. This is why we provide the 1pm- midnight block booking at an affordable rate, so that you and any suppliers have plenty of time to set up. We welcome wedding celebrations from all faiths and partnerships. Please note you cannot have a lit flame as part of the ceremony due to insurance restrictions.
Music & Sound
You are welcome to bring a DJ or host a band or gig in the hall. We’ve hosted some great concerts. The sound needs to be turned down after 11pm and off by Midnight due to neighbourhood noise regulation. DJ’s and bands will need to bring all their kit and any amplified sound equipment.
During our normal office hours (Mon-Fri 9am-3.30pm and evenings by appointment only), someone on reception will be available to let you into the hall. If your booking is outside of these times, you can pick up a key in advance from reception.
The hall is wheelchair accessible, and there are wheelchair accessible toilets. The mezzanine floor level is not wheelchair accessible.
6:00am - Midnight
6:00am - Midnight
6:00am - Midnight
6:00am - Midnight
6:00am - 6:00pm
Dear Hirers and Users,
WE ARE A VACCINE MANDATED FACILITY.
Although the rules around Centre usage have changed, we look forward to seeing as many of you as possible over the coming weeks and months.
As a community centre we sit between several rules around public facilities and private hire spaces, as we are both. Therefore, we have opted for the strongest and safest rules for the Red Traffic Light Framework. On behalf of our committee, please find below the details regarding the Blockhouse Bay Community Centre’s Covid-19 Protection Framework rules for hire and usage at the Centre under Red Traffic Light.
1. From Monday all groups operating in the centre must be checking the My Vaccine Pass of all members. This must be done before members enter the front door. We recommend this is done using the My Vaccine Pass app which is free to download. Our staff will do spot checks that this is happening, but it is not our staff's responsibility to check individuals.
2. 100 capacity maximum across both upstairs halls with social distancing required.
Main hall maximum capacity: 100 (if no bookings in the small hall)
Small hall maximum capacity: 30
Scouts hall maximum capacity: 30
Lodge Room maximum capacity: 10
Scouts and Lodge are treated as separate rooms as they have their own entrance and bathroom and do not share common foyers therefore with social distancing.
3. Groups that do not wish to return under these rules can pause their hire and we will reassess rules once the Orange Traffic Light comes into action.
4. Private functions must ensure valid vaccination passports are required without exception. also, however we will not hire any other space upstairs when a private function is on the premises.
5. Hirers are responsible for informing their group members regarding these policies. Please be aware that some senior citizens cannot get their passes until next week from pharmacies so you may want to pause re-starting by one week.
6. Groups can keep a register of those vaccinated once checked and re-check at the beginning of each school term.
7. Those who fail to comply will be suspended from hiring the centre until the next traffic light rules are in place.
8. Masks are to be worn in and out of the venue and in common areas such as foyer and toilets and strongly encouraged during their activity.
9. We will not be open as a public toilet - signage on the front door will direct people to the closest public bathroom facility in the village.
Thank you for your support and understanding. While we appreciate the mixed views out there around the mandate, for us to operate with unvaccinated people in the centre, requires a level of deep cleaning and policing that is beyond our capability. This is the safest way to open for the majority of our users. We will update you as we move our way through the traffic light system.
Blockhouse Bay Community Centre Staff and Governance Committee
- No smoking inside or outside the centre
- No pets or animals apart from guide dogs
- Leave the centre as you found it, clear stage & clean kitchen
- All rubbish must be removed
- Sound to be reduced after 11pm, no amplified sound after midnight
- Please report all breakages to manager
- Keys must be returned after your booking
- No use of pins, nails, powder, glitter or confetti
- Please do not enter the space before your booked start time
- Book enough time to set up & clear down your event
- Children are to be supervised at all times
We are located in the centre of Blockhouse Bay Village. The 11,24B, 68, 191, 195, 209 and 248X buses stop C & D outside the entrance to the community centre. They have regular services out to the City Centre, Onehunga, New Lynn and Lynfield. There are free parking spaces at the centre, and plenty of on street residential parking nearby. It’s a 20 minute drive via the 16 to the CBD in good traffic. A short walk away is lots of cafes for coffees and food, and a large Countdown. Five minutes away is Gittos domain with native bush walks leading down to the beach.